2014-05-21

Spring shows ranking at the halfway mark



It’s the halfway point of the spring season, so I thought; why not rank the new shows I’m watching.  Below is their order from greatest to least.


#1. Mushi-shi (蟲師 章)
    No surprise here, I loved the original and the continuation of this excellent series does not disappoint.  Right now my two biggest problems are; which episode is my favorite and what will I do while the series takes the summer off?!

#2. Knights of Sidonia (シドニアの騎士)
    This is a fun and interesting space mech opera.  We still have yet to get into the meat of the story and it’s already been a really fun ride.  I keep trying to convince people to stop watching Attack on Titan and watch this instead…but no one ever listens to me.

#3. World Fool News (ワールド フール ニュース)

    This one popped up out of nowhere on Crunchyroll and perked my interest.  Oddly drawn but wryly written gag series that apparently is getting limited broadcast time in Japan.  If you have a good handle on Japanese gag humor you can take a lot out of this one.  Best gag so far, the baby who runs a construction company.

#4. The Kawai Complex (僕らはみんな河合荘)
    I really, really see this as a modernization of Maison Ikkoku and have been enjoying its offbeat humor and glossy animation.  The last episode was a bit of a downer but I hope to see the series rolling strong and perhaps betting an overall plot to it besides ‘dude wanting to hook up with girl’.  There are teasers in the OP that could make this series really interesting.

#5. Mekaku City Actors (メカクシティアクターズ)
    With researching its vocaloid origins and finally starting to see more of the story after a handful of episodes, this series is becoming interesting.  The animation though is kind of annoying, but I won’t let that deter me from this unique series.

#6. One Week Friends (一週間フレンズ)
    This series is nice but is really dry…almost too dry…I want to like it more, but it’s starting to really become boring.  Maybe it’s better off as a manga, time will tell.

#7. Soul Eater Not! (ソウルイーターノット!)
    This spin off of the excellent original is faring better than I expected but still has to deal with moe trappings.  My reception to it is tepid currently and unless the series kicks into gear and starts to go somewhere I may drop it.

#8. The World is Still Beautiful (それでも世界は美しい)
    If only she would stop FUCKING singing every single episode!!!  I would like this series quite a bit better.  It’s fun and brainlessly enjoyable otherwise.  No new territory, hell the art looks like it came straight out of 1997.  But enjoyable, accept for that same damn song being sung, almost each and every time!!!!!  Knock it off already; we get it…push the single.  Geez.

#9. M3 (M3 -ソノ黒キ鋼)
    I have only watched the first episode of this supernatural series and it seems mildly interesting, need to really catch up before I can have a better feel for it, but so far, not so bad.

#10. Black Bullet  (ブラック・ブレット)
    If it wasn’t for all of the loli characters I would probably like this series more.  But they just so happen to be part of the central plot so it get annoying.  There are also shonen battle series trappings as well…which are also annoying.

#11. Captain Earth (キャプテン・アース)
    For all of its faults, and it has a shit ton of them, I keep wanting to watch more to find out what the subterfuge is all about in the story.  The animation is semi garbage.  The mech design is shitty and unoriginal.  The recycled mech formation sequences are incredibly trite.  The fact the enemy is after humanities libido is one of the dumbest plot devices I have ever seen!  I want to know what’s up with all the organizations involved and what the hell these enemy beings really are.  I honestly could care less for the success or failure of the good guys.  Oh, and if it wasn’t bad enough, they had to toss in a cute iconic animal ala Magical Knights Rayearth to make it even more ‘fan’ appealing.

#12. Brynhilder in the Darkness (極黒のブリュンヒルデ)
    While the story is interesting, almost all of the characters are so goddamn annoying., moe and loli…fuck!!  Good thing there is some gratuitous violence, not like Elfen Laid, but enough to keep me watching with all of its faults.  I mean, the story is interesting to a degree, but they keep pulling these worn out plot devices out of their ass to keep the story rolling.

(Knights of Sidonia)

No comments: