2014-05-20

A Milestone of Sorts

    Now marks completely reviewing over 200 anime/manga titles on this site.  This site was first fired up September 1st, 2008 as a place to migrate from my original posting site on MySpace.  I made the move to ensure a larger audience reach and to allow for more control over the layout.  So far I haven't been too disappointed.  In the beginning I began migrating many of the reviews from MySpace, but not all of them.  I have said plenty about many series during the life of this blog, more than 200, but I figured it would be significant to only tally the complete reviews, as anyone can just say a few words about something they watched briefly.  These reviews represent me consuming a particular series in it's entirety then documenting my thoughts on said series...for nothing more than self entertainment.

    I guess I like hearing myself talk!  Anyways, in late 2009 I took a 4 year hiatus due to increasing real life responsibilities and a growing disdain for the trends in popular anime.  On top of that a trip I made to Japan in 2009 burned me out mentally with pretty much everything related to Japan so I gave it a rest for a while.  Almost 4 years later I decided to fire it up and get back into the groove as I started to get back into anime, catching up on the series' I missed in the 4 year absence.  I am close to being caught up, so the reviews will simmer down a bit as I am left to the beck and call of whats current.

    Earlier in the year I introduced my take on the Throwback Thursday craze with the Mokuyobi Posts, mokuyobi (木曜日)being the Japanese word for Thursday.  Using these posts to do quick reviews of older anime.  I have a number still in the wings to drop but may run out before long, so any suggestions for old ass series' you want me to review...fire away, there is a good chance I have watched it!

    As may be apparent, I have been reading/reviewing a good deal more manga lately.  This trend may continue at its current pace, but when I get involved in a long running story it's difficult to fly through the reviews.  (Currently I'm a third of the way through Bakuman)  Yet, Japan keeps churning out new anime after new anime and they keep becoming readily available to me, so the posts will continue for the foreseeable future!  From time to time I will do more posts on my opinions and understandings of the things in reality that drive or come from the anime/manga world.  I like understanding why things happen in these series and paying attention to what they spawn in the real world.  You won't see me reporting from con's though, sorry.  I don't frequent them and have no desire to change that just to talk about what I saw and did, there is plenty of that that exists already.

    What initially started as a way to fill a void in keeping up with what was coming out in anime 10 years ago, following the closing of a friends store, has developed into a greater depth and understanding of the anime industry and it's driving forces.  It's fun being able to keep my close friends up to date on whats coming out and what I liked.  It's also fun spreading my special blend of insanity to other people I have never met, for whatever they take from it.

    The name, Otaku Network, initially came for an idea to build a website listing, detailing and cross referencing all of the anime that existed.  A resource that would help people find titles similar to ones they loved, to expand their fandom.  After setting it up off-line I discovered that someone had done almost the same thing earlier, Anime News Network.  I quickly scrapped the idea and a number of months later reused the name as the title for the original review posts on MySpace.  Since it's discovery ANN has been an amazing resource for me and has greatly increased my knowledge of the industry.  I no longer have to troll Japanese TV station websites to find out what series were running and what was in the wings.  Now, the well connected people at ANN do that, and I just leech off of their hard work!  If would be fun to work for them and I considered applying in the past when they had open positions, but regionally it is not feasible for me.  So to the fine people who run that website, I am deeply grateful for their hard work, dedication and resource.

    So thanks for the interest, however fleeting it may be.  And keep peeled for more reviews, critiques, outright hatreds and perhaps some education!


No comments: