2009-01-02

KissXsis

It seems fitting that what was supposed to be the first new episode review of the new year would be somewhat related to a series I just watched that is over 25 years old. KissXsis, originally I thought it was a new TV series, is actually a hentai OAV set. I continued to think that this was series was going to be airing on TV in the next week or so and that the episode zero I found was a precursor to it. Well, that information is partially correct. Episode zero is a precursor to the series that came out packaged with the recent tankuban volume. The problem is that this is not a lead in to the TV series, because their will be no TV series, yet anyways, for this title. Instead the OAV's will come out with the tankubon volumes. Unfortunately I discovered this about half way through the damn episode.

    Why I say this is very coincidental since I watched it 24 hours after pounding through 13 episodes of the old romance Miyuki (see review below) is due to the subject matter, love between step siblings. The similarity ends there. The OAV, based on the manga by the same name, is about young Keita and his twin step sisters, Ako and Riko. They continuously tease Keita in very un-sibling like ways, partially for their enjoyment of tormenting him and partially because they are both in lust with him. Keitas father and step mother seem to have no problem with the situation, with his father strongly endorsing it...so long as the boy keeps up his grades. Keita doesn't, at first, want anything of the sort to happen due to their sibling status, even if there is no blood relation. He has known them since a very early age and see's them as his cute older sisters. the twins have other plans and end up confessing to him in school. It kind of ended here in the episode, which I had already started skimming through instead of watching entirely.

    So, I don't enjoy hentai, I grew out of that when I graduated high school. A lot of the fanservice tendencies that I detest derive from hentai. I have no interest in watching this series and if I wouldn't have been confused I wouldn't have even watched what I did. I knew right away there was something wrong with this series, before I knew the truth. At first I was shocked by the graphic-ness of it, thinking it was still being aired on TV. then I thought this first one was an OAV and of course it could be a little more raunchy, it was a pre-episode after all, thinking the TV series would be a little more subdued. There wasn't any nudity per say, just a lot of very detailed panty shots and boxer shaped erections. Nothing says loving like camel-toe and inter-sibling tonguing I guess. Anyways, needless to say the show didn't interest me and I quickly began scanning the net to find out info on the show as the episode rolled on. When I discovered the truth I skipped through the rest of the episode and shuddered when it said 'tsutzuku' at the end. The only reason I decided to even write about viewing this hentai OAV is because of the topic being so closely related to the show I just reviewed. It goes to show hat the same subject matter can be handled in a number of different ways. You have KissXsis, with it detailed anatomy (the animation is actually pretty top quality all around so kudos for that) and it's very sexually natured scenarios. Then you have Miyuki and it's semi-innocent tale about step sibling relations, even if it is flawed in how it presents the dangers of reality, it's still innocent and family friendly. Lastly you have Koi Kaze and it's true incest story which is probably one of the most dramatic and well written anime out there, even if the subject matter is incredibly taboo (and KissXsis calls it's self taboo, pah!!) which aired on public TV in Japan. KissXsis is nothing new, nothing shocking and nothing to get excited about, unless you like hentai, then again I didn't see any nudity in the first episode so that might even be a bust.

After second thought I decided not to put up a video for this show, the only one that would work with my time frame choices is the entire morning kiss scene between the twins and their brother. I didn't want to set up any sort of standard by putting something so graphic, even if it's not nude based, on this site. It's not that I'm puritanical, far from, I just don't think this is the place I want something like that lurking

No comments: