2016-07-07

Summer 2016 First Blush Part 2

Here is the second group of first blush episodes for the Summer season.  Click here for the first group.

Bananya: A cute, childish short about banana cats.  What else can you say?  It's weird and kawaii at the same time...so very Japanese.

    I didn't include this one on my list of shows to look out for because I assumed no one would pick it up commercially...color me surprised.  Its 3 minutes per episode so whatever.

Available on Crunchyroll.


D.Gray-man Hallow: Picking up where the original series, which ended in 2007, left off.  Allan and all of the other Exorcists are caught in a ramped up fight with the Millennium Earl.  Allan's past and special abilities are beginning to make him a suspicious participant in the fight and the order begins to restrict his movements.

    In an interesting move the series picks up right where it left off, even after a 9 year hiatus.  I don't think I ever ended up watching the entire original series, but went through most of it and don't feel like revisiting it.  While I have grown tired of shonen battle manga, D.Gray-man has some enjoyable qualities.  So far now I say hello to this familiar show.

Available on FUNimation.


Sweetness & Lightening: Inuzuka Kouhei is a high school teacher, recent widower and father of a young girl.  Concerned with his abilities to provide healthy and balanced meals for his daughter he cautiously accepts cooking lessons from one of his students. 

    This is one of the titles I have been waiting on.  The manga has been in my read list for quite a while now and it always entertains me. Half of the time I end up making the recipe at the end of each chapter.  This is a great series to see animated given the beautiful character designs and the emotions represented in their faces.  Aside from being about food it is also about human relations and at times the manga is quite touching and emotional.

Available on Crunchyroll.


The High School Life of a Fudanshi: A normal high school student struggles with the difficulties of being a straight male fan of BL manga.  The struggle is real and apparent but he can't understand why people don't recognize his normalcy.  He strikes out to find more like minded people to better his immediate surroundings.

    This series is short and looks to me like a silly good time.  So, it will stick around.

Available on Crunchyroll.


New Game!: Suzukaze Aoba begins working for a video game company, her dream job.  She has a hard time fitting in right away and has to deal with her coworkers personalities.

    I'm on the fence with this one.  Unlike the realism of Shirobako, this one more seems like little more than moe otaku loli fantasy land.

Available on Crunchyroll.


Click here for Part 3.

No comments: