2024-09-19

A Quick Look at the Fall 2024 Anime Season

The Fall season, normally one of the best times for new series, looks pretty sad in comparison to the glut of fantastic titles over the Summer.  What we do have though, are 4 solid titles, 3 of which are continuations and a mixed bag of new shows that may or may not last the entire run.


Uzumaki

     The long awaited anime adaptation of the classic Ito Junji horror manga.  The fact its in black and white is even better!  Embrace the spiral and let it drag you down into a world of bliss.

Tying the Knot With an Amagami Sister

    I am not even sure why I am going to watch this...it seems like a terrible male orientated harem...but here I go, at least watching some of the first episode.  So we shall see if my preconceived notions prove correct or not.  Its about a loser who ends up staying at a shrine and then for some reason having to choose among the three, archetypal sisters, which one he wants to marry.

 

Blue Box

    Not sure how long I will watch this sports themed shonen romance but...I'll give it a try.  Of course as with more titles out of Jump, the animation is pretty solid.  But the story may be too hallow for me, especially given the quality and quantity of romances in the Summer season.  Its about a boy who wants to get closer to a girl in his school who is passionate about badminton.

 

365 Days to the Wedding

    A work place romance about two people avoiding being transferred to Siberia by getting married to each other?  Could be fun, worth a few episodes at least!

 

Is It Wring to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon season 5

    I have surprisingly enjoyed this series since the beginning.  I am hoping that this new season will wash away some of the disappointment that was the 4th season.  One thing that I have enjoyed with the story is the progressive quality of the world building.  But season 4 brought us back to a closed world centered on the dungeon its self, something we hadn't had since the first season.  It took too long to tell the story it wanted to and just wasn't as interesting as season 3 was.  Hopefully season 5 will be better!!

 

Magilumiere Co, Ltd.

    Based on the synopsis this sounds like a goofy work place comedy about a woman ending up getting a part time gig for a magical girl agency.  The previews make it seem like its more action than comedy...so we shall see...it might not make it past episode one.

 

How I Attended an all Guys Mixer

    A guy gets invited to a mixer only to find the women attending it are drag kings!  Not sure how much meat this story will actually have but it at least is worth checking out the first episode.

 

Orb: On the Movements of the Earth 

    This is a historical tale set in Europe or an analog of it just on the cusp of the age of enlightenment as a curious young burgeoning scientist butts up against the oppressive theological society.  I don't typically get into historical stories like this but its an interesting enough subject for me to dip my toe into.

Ranma 1/2

    A fundamental anime from my early years of anime fandom.  Ranma has been near and dear to my heart for a long time.  Its not with out its faults though, as I stopped enjoying the show halfway through season 3.  This is the second Takahashi series getting a remake, following the recent remake of Urusei Yatsura.  The artwork looks great and we have a lot of the main voice cast returning.  I hope this reboot keeps it streamlined and top notch...either way, I am quite excited for this series to find new fans.

Tsuma, Shogakusei ni Naru

    Based on the title and a short synopsis this seems like it could be a terrible pedo-centric story.  But the previews really strive to sell it as a heart wrenching story about loss and reconciliation with emotions.  Plot...middle aged mans deceased wife returns to his life ten years after her passing, reincarnated into a grade school girl, who remembers her past life.

Tower of God Season 3

    I suspected we wouldn't get a single cour with this series return.  The second part of the story is way to long to fit into 12 episodes, we may not see any more past this 3rd cour for a while, if at all, so enjoy it while we have it.

A Terrified Teacher at Ghoul School

    Comedy about a teacher getting a job at a school for yokai?  I don't see this doing more than having jokes centered around the common yokai types but this may still prove amusing.  Not sure if it would be better served as a short or full half hour programming.

 

DanDaDan

    One of, if not the most anticipated show of the series...at first glance it looked fun but the closer I look at it and with each successive preview that comes out I am beginning to think this isn't going to be new or original.  At first glance it looked like it was going to be an off kilter comedy about two weirdos being weird, but with each new trailer as more gets shown of the primary boys transformation into a character who looks like an amalgamation of a few things I really dislike...it looks like its going to be annoying and rote shonen garbage.  It pains me though...as I love Science Saru.

Bananya Around the World

    The return of a cute and lovable short form kids show about a group of unlikely cats.  I am super happy this is back after what...10 years?

 

No comments: