2024-08-26

Dropped Shows for the 2024 Summer Season

 It's a bit past the half way point of the season which has somewhat fallen into a slump across a number of shows.  This season saw me watching an abnormally large number of shows, larger than any season in the past 10 years I would imagine.  But not all of them have survived to the halfway point, quite a few have gotten dropped in recent weeks and here is the rundown of whats been left behind.


2.5 Dimensional Seduction

    I pretty quickly was able to determine that this show was not for me.  It focused too much on the characters perverted tendencies and both of the characters seemed to lack any depth of personality beyond their archetypes.  I keep thinking of it as a poor attempt at copying the concept of  My Dress-up Darling but completely missing the key piece that made that show so good...the heart and realism of the characters.  My Dress-up Darling had some questionable choices in how gratuitous it chose to expose Marin and highlight her dangerous level of comfort but 2.5 D really missed the bar on its protagonists' make up to be worth trudging through.  This was dropped after episode 1.

Plus Sized Elf

    Watching the anime adaptation of a questionable manga I read more of that I probably should instantly reminded me of why I stopped reading it.  While the concept is novel this series offers little more than fanservice.  But at least its thicc girl fanservice which struggles to receive mainstream exposure.  But, its fanservice in the end and I have too little time to spend retreading this 'story' even if its more adult than the source material.  This was dropped after episode 1.

My Wife Has No Emotions

    I have a lot of problems with the concept of 'yamato nadeshiko' the out dated, idealized concept of the dutiful, subservient wife.   This show, about an old model android who's owner attempts to force into an object of affection serves little purpose than perpetuating otaku stereotypes.  Those stereotypes, talking points of conservative politicians in Japan since at least the turn of the millennium, center around adults who struggle or outright refuse to engage in 'normal' relationships with the opposite sex, further exacerbating the countries declining birth rate.  I suspect its not at rampant as many sources will make you believe, but this show doesn't work to dispute that.  This was dropped after episode 3

ATRI: My Dear Moments 

    I have watched a number of anime based on visual novels, some were well done others were annoying.  But ATRI is the first time I can think of where said adaptation felt exactly like watching a play through of said visual novel.  The characters were obnoxious and trite and the story was so purposefully mysterious that it was difficult to generate any interest in its outcome. This was dropped after episode 5.

Twilight out of Focus

    I was hoping to get a good yaoi series to cleanse the palette from the abysmally boring Tadaima, Okaeri.  The first few episode of Twilight out of Focus seemed to do just that.  But then it started to become a situation where the actual developing plot lines were little more than set ups for the characters to have sex.  Then it reset its self and decided to set up another pairing, completely shifting focus and just became rather boring.  I dropped this after episode 6.

The season still have a little more than a month to go and honestly...VTuber Legend might be cut in before I concludes.  It was fun at first but as its progressed its meandered into a world that appears to only appeal to people who are big into VTubing...which I am not.  At this point though, everything else is on course to be finished when the season wraps up and I will have to crank out more than a dozen end of series reviews in the beginning of October.  The Fall season, based on the shows that are known so far, seems to be less interesting than this Summer season has been, which is a bit sad.  If the Fall is lighter for my concur ant viewing, I can probably concentrate more on the back catalog!

No comments: